Saturday, January 23, 2016

The Grey Warden (Part 3 - The Breastplate... and assorted leather straps)


Welp,
I've started making the breastplate. And ran into a heap of trouble, including but not limited to not being able to find my contact cement, and trying to figure out how the breastplate should look. There is an added complication that I need a part of the straps to connect to the tassets, and I just paused and went to make the linen pants instead. I figure they'll be easier.
On the bright side, i went hunting for paint and such, and found some gesso! I can use it to make my armor have a bit more weight and give me a nice clean painting surface on which to work.
Breast Plate:
  • Muslin mock-up
  • Bend the foam into shape
  • Repeat the second one
  • Felt lining
  • Add edging
  • Make gryphon on another sheet,
    • outline in puff paint,
    • attach
  • Paint
  • Leather belts
  • Weather

Looking back on my plan, I realize that it went completely off the rails. I have an mock-up, but I made it in paper and really thin foam board, as I've never worked with foam board before. Here's a revised plan (reflecting reality):
Breast Plate:
  • Paper plan and mock-up

  • Test out idea in paper


  • Make a foam version


  • Give up and wander away for a while to make pants because they must be easier than this.

No comments:

Post a Comment